History

Thumbnail imageThe Honor Guard traces its beginning to May 1948 when Headquarters Command USAF was instructed to develop plans for an elite ceremonial unit comparable to those of other armed services. As a result, a ceremonial unit was activated within the Air Police Squadron in September 1948 with an authorized strength of 98 enlisted and two officers. However, due to transfers and personnel attrition, the end of the year found the Ceremonial Detachment, for all practical purposes, disbanded. It wasn't until March 1949 that sufficient personnel were assigned to enable the unit function.

Thumbnail imageThe Ceremonial Detachment continued to be assigned to the Air Police Squadron until December 1971. Finally, on January 1, 1972, the Honor Guard became its own separate unit.


Today's Honor Guard is comprised of volunteers who are carefully screened for their ability and physical dexterity. Only those persons who are highly motivated, and maintain an exceptionally high standard of appearance, conduct and aptitude for ceremonial duty, are considered.

 

Military Support Events

Prev Next
Squadron Bowling
Carolina Skies Club Pizza Deal
Smoothies at Rickenbackers
Lodging & Dorm Key Program
Operation TAP
Birthday Special
Chess Club
Combative House
Yarn Club
Shaw Philosophy Society
Poetry Nights at the Library
Tech Talk Tuesdays with Juan
Tween Book Club
Paper Crafting Crop
Kids Night Out / Give Parents a Break Night
CLEP Prep-A-thon
Free Music Downloads!
Sunday Brunch
Woodland Pool Open
Swim Club Challenge
Russian for Beginners
McElveen Homeschool Programs
Deep Sea Fishing Trip
Skydiving
Couponing Class
Short Game Clinic
Bundles For Babies
Deep Sea Fishing Trip
September Framing Grab Bag Special

Take 20 - July/August 2017

Newsletter

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
YouTube
Find us on Flickr
Contact Us